New Delhi: Defeating New Zealand has been the biggest challenge for India in the last two decades in ICC tournaments. This can be gauged from the mere fact that in the last 20 years, Team India has not been able to beat New Zealand even once in ICC tournaments. During this period, Team India had to lose to the Kiwi team in all three formats of cricket.
The last time the Indian team won in ICC tournaments was against New Zealand in the World Cup 2003. Then India won by 7 wickets in Centurion under the captaincy of Sourav Ganguly. Since then, India and New Zealand have clashed 5 times in ICC tournaments but every time the Kiwi team has won.
- T20 World Cup 2007: In its very first match of the Super-8 of the T20 World Cup, India had to face defeat against New Zealand. Batting first, the Kiwi team had scored 190 runs, in reply the Indian team could score only 180 runs.
- T20 World Cup 2016: This time India had suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of New Zealand in its own home. Batting first, New Zealand team could score only 126 runs but Team India was all out for just 79 runs.
- World Cup 2019 Semifinals: In the last ODI World Cup, New Zealand and India faced each other in the semi-finals. New Zealand had scored 239 runs while batting first, in reply Team India could score only 221 runs.
- World Test Championship 2021: In the final of the World Test Championship, the Indian team could score 217 runs in its first innings. After this New Zealand scored 249 runs in the first innings. Here in the second innings, Team India was limited to 170 runs, in reply the Kiwi team easily achieved the target of 140 runs.
- T20 World Cup 2020: This match of the group stage was a do or die match for India but here the Kiwi bowlers restricted India to just 110 runs. The Kiwi team took only 14.3 overs to achieve the target of 111 runs. With the defeat in this match, the Indian team was out of the World Cup.
The post Cricket World Cup: New Zealand is the biggest obstacle for India in ICC tournaments, has not got a single win for 20 years appeared first on Agniban.